Harees,the Spicy Chicken Porridge.

A warm bowl of spicy Harees is gratifying to a hungry soul.Its nostalgic as a fulfilling Iftar meal in Ramadan .Its getting chilly here in Cleveland , spicy meals like harees are positively relishing on a gloomy cold day.
Harees, also called Haleem in some regions in South India,my Hyderabadi Haleem is made with whole wheat and lamb. Haleem or Harees are protein pack meals ,a favorite low-carb recipe.
The spicy Harees is off to Srilekha's Chicken Event

Ingredients
1 pound boneless chicken,most of the fat trimmed and preferably Halal\Kosher or Organic free range chicken.
1 medium Onion,thinly sliced
1 cup Whole grain broken wheat\bulgur wheat\daliya
3/4 teaspoon ginger garlic paste or 1/2 teaspoon each of freshly grated garlic and ginger
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilly powder
1 teaspoon garam masala(Ground cumin,coriander,cardamom ,cloves and cinnamon)
1 teaspoon sea salt\kosher salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro and mint
1/2 a lime, freshly squeeeezed.
2 tablespoon Olive oil

Method
Soak the broken wheat for about 15 minutes in cold water
Heat Olive oil in a big skillet and add the thinly sliced onions. saute until lightly brown ,remove half of the fried onions and reserve for garnish. Add the chicken and spices. Saute until chicken changes color and spices aroma is toasty. Add the soaked wheat and chopped cilantro\mint(reserve few for garnish),2 cups of water,season with salt and cover .Cook on slow heat for about an hour(about 25 minutes in a pressure cooker) while stirring occasionally.
When cooked,uncover and let cool for 10 minutes before coarsely grinding using a immersion blender or any processor,stir in the fresh lime juice. Serve warm,garnish with toasted nuts,chopped greens and fried onions.

More Awards!
Priya has admired me as a hard working blogger, I'm elated! .Thanks Priya:).

I'd love to pass this to a much more hardworking blogger Sangeeth:)

Zee from Zeelicious blog has honored me with the "Best food blog",I'm awed. Thanks Zee:)


Ivy of has passed me the good job award,thanks so much Ivy:)


I'd love to pass the Good job award to Viki Xavier of Viki's Kitchen , Sara G of Life's Little Something blog, Adlak's tiny World,mamafami and Vidhas of Appetizing Recipes

Comments

CurryLeaf said…
Happy Diwali,Yasmeen.Congrats on your awards.enjoy. Cheers
Harees!!! mmm I have never tried this... I know one thing this is simple and I gotta follow your recipe :) thanks for the chocoholic award...
Sangeeth said…
Thank you sooooooo much Yasmeen :)and congrats on your awards!
Vikis Kitchen said…
Thank you so much Yasmeen for this sweet surprising award.
Congrats for all those awards and I am sure u deserve them.
Happy Deepavali.
maimoona said…
Haleem or harees is one of favourite, your version of haleem looks easy and delicious.
Congrats Yasmeen for all the awards!
Its great to have so many awards for our blog.Ur blog deserves them !
Well I do have something for you on my blog..
Check it out!
Unknown said…
Congrats on the award..Nice chicken dish..
Thanks soooo much for passing me the Good job award dear. My joy makes me no bounce.

Congrats on yr awards amd u deserves it.
vidhas said…
Congrats on your Awards. YOur blog is mind blowing. Thaank you for passing me the award
Zee said…
Hearty congratulations on your awards..you truly deserve them:)
It is beginning to get cold and chilly in Hyderabad too..good idea to have Harees in this weather...your recipe is quiet easy to make..will surely try it out and let you know the outcome:)
Yasmeen said…
Thank you'll for the nice comments,that surely keeps me going:)
Zee,I grew up in hyd and never felt cold except few days in the month of December.I miss the tropical sunny Climate, weather in Cleveland is blistery cold in winter!
Anjum said…
Asak yasmeen...delicious looking harees..congrats for all the awards...it was good to c harees...it reminded me of ramadan days...
Dori said…
Congratulations on your awards! The porridge sounds delicious, and perfect for the cold weather.
Sharmila said…
This is a new dish for me ... am surely going to try it. And thanks for the chocoholic award ... you are a dear! :-)
Anonymous said…
Thanx so much for the award. Now I'm looking forward to more cooking. Happy Days
Anonymous said…
Savory porridge is cool idea!
syeda said…
congratuation for the awards! harees looks so inviting,that if I were somewhere near cleveland,I would hav dropped in without getting invited lol
MamaFaMi said…
Thanks dearie for the award. But I don't think I did a good job in collecting it huh! I really took time to collect it. So sorry dear. Life has been quite hectic for me lately! Anyway, thanks so much for remembering me... jazakallah..
Zee said…
Yesterday I had Harees and as promised I am here to let you know about it...It had really turned out delicious and the best part was that it was easy to make:)
Anonymous said…
Great blog you have got here.. It's difficult to find excellent writing like yours these days. I truly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

Feel free to surf to my web blog ... Michael Kors

Contact Health Nut

Name

Email *

Message *