Green Mango Dal


In India, expectant moms go ga ga over tangy Green mangoes during the nauseous phase. The sourness in green mangoes balances just right with the cranked up hormones in the body.I remember my strong desire for this sourly goodness during my queasy initial phase of pregnancy,but I could hardly push myself to the kitchen to cook and so my craving for this fruit remained unfulfilled. Making the mango dal brought back those tart memories.
Finding a firm tangy green mango is the key to nice sour dal. Indian Grocery Stores usually have the best kind of green mangoes.Green mangoes are categorized as super fruits for its exceptional nutrient richness and antioxidant quality.




Ingredients
1/2 cup Yellow Split Lentil(Toor Dal)
1/2 green mango,washed,peeled and cubed
1 small Plum Tomato ,chopped
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
1/2 teaspoon Red chilly powder
2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon Salt

For Tempering(Tadka)
1 big Clove of Garlic
few Curry leaves
2 Tablespoon of Olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
1/8 teaspoon fenugreek seeds(Methi)

Method
Cook the Lentils
Wash and Soak lentil for 10minutes.Ideally a pressure cooker(PC) is quick for cooking the lentils.Drain all the water from soaking lentils.Transfer in a skillet or pressure cooker ,add a cup of water along with cubed green mangoes,salt ,chilly powder ,cilantro,chopped tomatoes and turmeric. Cover and cook on medium flame for about 10minutes in PC and 30 minutes in a skillet. Now mash the cooked lentils ,add a cup of water,put back on heat and simmer another 7-8 minutes.Transfer in a serving bowl and mix with tempering.
Temper the cooked Lentils
To prepare the tempering, heat Olive oil in a smallest pan you have in the kitchen. Add the seeds ,peeled garlic, curry leaves and chillies. When the mustard seeds start to splutter ,the time is right to mix the tempering in to the cooked lentil mixture.Serve with Warm Rice or breads.
Green Mango is my entry for Weekend Herb Blogging,now managed by Haalo of Cooking (Almost) Everything At Least Once and hosted this week by Wiffy of Noob Cook





More Dal Recipes
Dal MakhaniSambhar
Pumpkin LentilsSpinach Lentils

Comments

CurryLeaf said…
Lovely and healthy.Tangy dal due to the mangoes.Comfort food as well.I love this addition.I love them anytime and nice presentaion as well.
syeda said…
ahha, yummy looking daal.....I am just imaginig tgis with talaa hua gosht and steamed rice......hmmmmmmm
mmm, the tangy taste and the smell of dhal and mangoes are irresistable and so is the dish now...
Purva Desai said…
Moong dal looks yummy and tangy.....addition of Mango makes it tempting
hey yasmeen u changed yr logo pic it seems. good selection yar.

I m searching for pumpkin dear but u turned now to mango ha ha ha. so i can expect diff and unique recepies out of mangoes hereafter right?!...
Anonymous said…
Real Star...I love the combination.And yasmeen,mangoes are my weakness at any time.(green ones)
Anonymous said…
Real Star...I love the combination.And yasmeen,mangoes are my weakness at any time.(green ones)
Finla said…
I love dal with mangoes. And this look yummy.
I was always dispointed that i didn't had the craving for mangoes when i was pregnant :-)
Cham said…
Very addictive to the mango anything tanging i am ready to dig in :) Yumm
syeda said…
btw is it u in the picture!
Unknown said…
just yum! comfort food!
Recipeswap said…
pregy or not I love green mangoes.Nice presentation...is that u in the profile pic?
Recipeswap said…
pregy or not I love green mangoes.Nice presentation...is that u in the profile pic?
Priya Suresh said…
Mango dal makes me hunger,i love anything tangy..lovely presentation yasmeen..
Anonymous said…
I always crave for such spicy soups in cold weather.
Anonymous said…
Yasmeen,I so glad to have found your blog,you've healthy recipes here.
Anonymous said…
Looks good. I love green mango. Can NEVER find them here.
Vibaas said…
This is something i've never had before. Looks yum. Btw, i was the wierd exception to what you said. I hated sour things (including mango) during my first trimester! But, i compensated during the rest of my pregnancy ;-)

Your profile pic looks nice.
Unknown said…
Lovely recipe yasmeen.I have used raw mango in dal but I have heard it tastes awesome.
Anonymous said…
Wow mango dal curry sounds very interesting. I'm sure it goes well with rice as well as chapatis.
Anonymous said…
tangy mango dal on rice looks very tempting.
Sujatha said…
good combination of mango and dal.. can imagine the flavoruful and tangy dal!
Noob Cook said…
I love love love green mango for its tangy sourness too. This is such a great way to prepare dal. Thanks for sharing with whb :)
Jaishree Iyer said…
yummy looking daal with mango tempting...Lovely and healthy dish.
Vijitha said…
healthy n looks tasty!! yummmy :-)
come and have something from my tiny world dear.
hi yasmeen ..nice recipe..you know..summer is around here so its the best time for me to try to make this dal..
Lovely green mango dal Yasmeen! My mom makes it and I love it. Nice recipe!
Anonymous said…
Hi Yasmeen,
How are you? Nice Dal!
I am new to the blogging world. Ur blog's really good. :-)
Anjum said…
Kairi daal is my all time favourite,u presented it in a great way.
Anonymous said…
Tangy dal with rice is my comfort food.
Zee said…
Ummmmmmmm yummy dal..Am drooling over that tangy and tarty green mango flavour..:D
Like always your presentation is beautiful:)
Dori said…
This looks great, I wish I could have some for lunch.. I wish I had some of those mangoes sitting around!

Contact Health Nut

Name

Email *

Message *