Monday, July 27, 2009
The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.
With or\and choice in the challenge I picked what seemed easier ,the Milan cookies,a famous European sandwich cookie with luscious dark chocolate filling.To add to the scrumptiousness I dipped the cookie in some more goodness of dark chocolate and sprinkled with dried coconut.To say the least these make a delicious treat for any cookie monster and a exciting bake for a daring baker.
Adapted from Gale Gand's Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 1 hr
Serves: about 1 dozen cookies
Ingredients for the Cookies
• 2 tablespoons Organic unsalted butter (vegan substitute : virgin pressed coconut oil), softened
. 2 tablespoon organic reduced fat milk or soy milk or almond milk
• 1/2 cup brown or white sugar
• 3 Organic egg whites(vegan substitute : 2 tablespoon arrowroot or corn starch + 2 tablespoon almond or rice milk)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon lemon extract(optional)
• 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour + 1/2 cup all purpose flour
for Cookie filling:
• 1/4 cup heavy cream(Vegan Substitute: thick coconut milk)
• 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate or Dark chocolate, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
some roasted nuts or grated coconut for sprinkling.
1. In a large mixing bowl whisk butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
2. Add the egg whites ,milk,gradually and then mix in the vanilla and lemon extracts.
3. Add the flour and mix until just well mixed.
4.For piping use a large ziploc(plastic storage bag),snip the end or a regular pastry bag with plain tip, pipe 1-inch sections of batter onto a parchment-lined sheet pan, spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.
6. While waiting for the cookies to cool, in a small saucepan over medium flame, scald cream.
7. Pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl, whisk to melt chocolate, add zest and blend well.
8. Set aside to cool (the mixture will thicken as it cools).
9. Spread a thin amount of the filling onto the flat side of a cookie while the filling is still soft and press the flat side of a second cookie on top.For more chocolate covering dip half of the cookies in the chocolate mixture,place on a large plate or sheet pan to cool.Sprinkle some powdered nuts or coconut before it cools.
10. Repeat with the remainder of the cookies.
The video here might help for beginner bakers.
Check out other Daring Bakers creative variations.