Coffee Cocoa Buckwheat Kasha(Porridge) with Dried Figs


The Porridge of Eastern Europe,Kasha, is prepared with different kinds of whole grains,one of the most common is made with buckwheat.For an appealing and effortless morning breakfast porridge ,combine the roasted buckwheat granules with two of favorite breakfast flavors,cocoa and coffee ,and finally top with dried fruit and nuts.
Buckwheat Health and Nutrition

Buckwheat is a cholesterol free, almost fat-free food,that also helps in lowering blood glucose.Its actually a fruit seed not a cereal grain.Not related to wheat,Buckwheat is completely gluten free ,best for those with gluten intolerance(Celiac disease).
Roasted buckwheat granules are great for making porridge(kasha) ,as easy as the oatmeal.Buckwheat flour or roasted buckwheat granules can be used in all the dishes were ever rice or wheat is used.

Recipe : Coffee Cocoa Buckwheat Kasha(Porridge) with Dried Figs
Serves 2
Ingredients
3/4 cup roasted buckwheat granules(Kasha,I used Wolff's brand)
2 1/2 cup reduced fat Organic milk or skimmed Organic milk
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoon instant coffee
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon natural sweetener(like Agave nectar ,Jaggery or Honey) or 2 teaspoon stevia powder
3 dried figs,chopped or 1/4 cup of any dried fruit and nuts .

Method
Bring milk to a boil in a medium saucepan,stir in the kasha and salt.Cook,uncovered,stirring frequently while maintaining a gentle boil,8 to 10 minutes,until desired consistency.Stir in the cocoa ,coffee powder and the sweetener ,cook for another minute until well combined.Serve warm or cold with chopped dried fruit and nuts,along with a fresh fruit on side for a complete breakfast.

Comments

Cool Lassi(e) said…
Porridge looks deliciously healthy. Making my stomach grumble reminding me I haven't had any breakfast yet. Great presentation.
PJ said…
such a delicious and healthy porridge.. the ingredients are unique here, but are healthy that I am sure its all goodness.
That hearty porridge looks delicious! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa
Gita Jaishankar said…
Porride sounds very interesting and awesome Yasmeen...must have made a delicious breakfast...I have never tried with whole buckwheat before...need to start searching for this :)
Sayantani said…
Love porridge for breakfast, this one looks lovely and very comforting to start the day. now sure whether we get buckwheat here.
Joanne said…
I've never had buckwheat but there are truly very few things in life that I love more than dried figs. Definitely going to have to try this!
Shri said…
Looks like a dessert!Lovely!
Simplyfood said…
Very healthy and delicious.Nice click.
Priya Suresh said…
Porridge looks absolutely healthy and yummy...
Bowl full of healthy porridge looks gorgeous and delicious. I am sure everyone love this with crunchy nuts and fruits.
notyet100 said…
this looks so healthy
I adore each one of these ingredients, especially the dried figs. Looks delicious!
Unknown said…
new to me..looks delicious..
Porridge looks delicious and healthy!!!!!

Kindly accept the award dear
Deepa G Joshi said…
porridge never looked so delicious..its very healthy and rich in nutrients..
Nithu Bala said…
How can a porridge look so yummy? very very tempting...healthy too..have to give a try soon..
Looks tasty and hearty. Creative, too!
Shama Nagarajan said…
healthy recipe dear..u are really rocking
shahana said…
This healthy porridge looks really tempting!!
Anjum said…
Healthy and yet so tasty and great looking.
Dori said…
That's great, so healthy and flavorful :)
Anonymous said…
The figs look absolutely sensational in the porridge.
Unknown said…
Yasmeen,the nutritious porridge is undoubtedly my kind of breakfast.
shantiwallah said…
I discovered your blog about a month ago and have been holding this recipe in my memory until the weather got a bit cooler (It's autumn here in New Zealand now.). Waking up to rain this morning I grabbed my bag of kasha and started cooking. I went for straight agave syrup (no stevia) and made a choco-cherry version with dried cherries rather than figs and it was great. The porridge itself was a little grainy and I was wondering if that is normal or if it is because I accidentally put the milk and kasha in together before cooking. Have you experimented with this? It tasted great at any rate, so thank you for the recipe:-)
Yasmeen said…
Shantiwallah,
thanks for following my blog.Yes this porridge is a little grainy not as mushy and soft like oatmeal :D
suma said…
Hi Yasmeen,
I came across u'r blog just now.And its really great.U have such wonderful,healthy recipes.Really u are doing a great job.I had a request though...I have a bag of whole buck wheat grains.I was wondering if u have any spicey recipes using buck wheat?I mean other than the sweet versions.Can u please tell me if u know any.I have been looking for some recipes and couldn't find any.Can u please help me....

Contact Health Nut

Name

Email *

Message *