Multi Seed(Pumpkin,Flax and Sesame) Bread



If I survive, I will spend my whole life at the oven door seeing that no one is denied bread and, so as to give a lesson of charity, especially those who did not bring flour.-Jose Marti


Bread is part of every household around the world, each region its prepared with a distinct variation. Parathas\Chapati in Indian Sub-continent, Pita in middle east, Ciabatta from Italy, Baguette from France ,Bing from China and Rye bread from Russia are some of the breads around the world.
Today is the World Bread day, an event started by baking queen Zorra ,inviting all baking enthusiasts around the world to bake bread or simply post about a store bought bread.

How did I become a baking enthusiast?, since I migrated to US and discovered an Oven in the Kitchen. There was no stopping to my experiments. Mistakes were made, but lesson are learned eventually.For the event, I baked a simple bread with all the seeds I could gather from my pantry. I hallowed a pumpkin recently for a pie and saved its seeds,roasted it for snacking and used some in this bread recipe. Also used Sesame seeds and Flax seeds to add more crunch and loads of nutrition to the bread.Recipe is that of an Italian bread with standard ingredients Yeast, flour and Olive oil.

Ingredients
3 cups Whole wheat flour(Fine ground) or Whole wheat pastry flour
1 active dry yeast pack,about 1 1/2 teaspoon
1/2 tsp sugar
1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon Flax seeds
3 tablespoon Olive oil
1 cup warm water
3/4 teaspoon Salt


Method
Prepare the dough
Dissolve the yeast in warm water, stir in the sugar and allow the yeast to get frothy, about 10 minutes.In a large bowl combine the flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon sesame(reserve rest for topping), Flax seeds and pumpkin seeds(reserve 2 teaspoon for topping). Add the yeast mixture and olive oil and knead until well combined.Apply some more oil on the sides of the bowl cover and allow to rise until double it size about 3-4 hours or leave it overnight in a dark corner.
Bake
Preheat oven to 450F.
Shape the dough in to a circle and place on a greased baking sheet and brush some egg white and sprinkle the reserved sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds. Proof for another hour by covering allowing to rise one last time before baking.
Place in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.Cool for at least 10 minutes on a rack and slice with a serrated knife.
Slather some spread or fruit preserves.

Or Make a sandwich for lunch


Nutrition facts
Pumpkin seeds >>Excellent source of minerals Magnesium, Manganese and Phosphorus. Good source of Iron, vitamin K,zinc,protein and copper.
Flax seeds >> Its a super food with excellent health benefits of lower cholesterol and blood pressure. Good source of Omega 3s ,calcium ,Iron and antioxidants.
Sesame seeds >>Its an alternate calcium source for milk allergic. Also a good source of Iron and minerals like magnesium ,copper and zinc.

Similar tempting bakes :

Sweet Focaccia


Spicy Veggie Buns

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a beautiful bread!
wonderful bread, healthy too...
A wonderful bread! Great job!

Cheers and happy WBD,

Rosa
Deeba PAB said…
That's one handsome looking loaf Yasmeen. Very very nice...love the seeds on top. YUM!!
Finla said…
This bread looks wonderfully delicious
NKP said…
Wonderful bread! I love seed bread, so satisfying and nutty.
Thanks for the info on the nutrients. I am always trying to pack more nutrition into my daughter who can't have dairy and doesn't like much meat.
maimoona said…
Excellent and easy to make recipe of bread,good job!
Even your previous post about the sugar substitutes was very informative, I find all recipes in your blog so healthy and nutritious,indeed they justify your blog's name:)
Sunshinemom said…
Yasmeen, loved your introduction. I like your approach to health, and this bread speaks exactly what you meant about food!! Beautiful:)
Suganya said…
Hi...
This is a useful post. Bread looks so good. Turned out perfect for u...
CurryLeaf said…
Beautiful post and wonderful bread.It is healthy bread with all that flax & pumpkin seeds in it.
CurryLeaf said…
thanks for visiting my blog.Keep visiting :D
I got stunned on yr healthy stuffs along with its nutritous values. Very good job yasmeen.
My 3 yrs son also suffering from wheezing, under on medication.,
Sure yr blog ll be helpful to me not only for me but for every one indeed yar. Thanks for the care n effort taken to give healthy recipe.
ST said…
Bread looks soooo wonderful and divine..
Engineer Baker said…
That looks wonderful - I love anything with pumpkin seeds :)
Nic said…
I do love seeds in my breads, this looks so good!
Love your blog - great recipes here!
Anjum said…
Hey yasmeen i love the bread...ur too good at baking stuff.,
Anonymous said…
This reminds me a lot of the multigrain bread at this shop called Hannah's Bretzel. Looks amazing.
zorra said…
Great bread. Me too I love to bake breads with ingredients I gather from my pantry.

Thx for your participation in WBD'08.
Anonymous said…
This is wonderful!! beautiful combination.

Thanx for visiting me.
Eva said…
Looks wonderful, I'm a big fan of seed breads, too!
Erica said…
LOVE your blog! I made this bread today. Should have pictures posted tonight- thank you so much :)

Contact Health Nut

Name

Email *

Message *