Health Nut Challenge 2:Guilt-free Snacks.Roasted Vegetable Wheat Crackers.

The gratifying response for the first Health Nut Challenge gives me the confidence to announce the second challenge ~ Guilt-Free Snacks.
How often to do you reach out for snacks between your meals?And how often is it a deep fried or high sugar food?.Snacking is essential part of a healthy diet ,helps maintain even energy levels and manage hunger and prevent binging.But foods with empty calories(high calories and low nutrition) like deep fried ,high sugar foods ,that aren't very fulfilling ,often leave hunger lurking around craving for more.The result can be nasty weigh gain and other medical problems.


For the Health Nut Challenge 2:
Share your ideas of smart snacking
1.Create a healthy snack ,one that is not deep fried ,has good source of fiber ,low in sugar and fat.
Or recreate some of the healthy snacking recipes posted here(Chips-N-Dips,Baked goodies,Savory snacks or Smoothies)or from other blogs:

2.Limit 2 entries per blog .Use the logo and link back to this post .Mail me your entry with following details by October 31st 2009 to email address
YasmeenHealthnut[at]gmail[dot]com :
**Your Name and blog\Website(if you have one)
**Recipe link(Non-bloggers include the complete recipe)
**A Picture of the snack
** Old entries are allowed as long as reposted.
**Your Location

Thanks to all the participants of Health Nut Challenge :Well balanced 3 course meals.I'm working on the round up ,hopefully it'll be up in a week or two and the lucky winner who takes $25,will be chosen in a lucky draw by Nabeel.


Roasted Vegetable Wheat Crackers

The crunchy munchie crackers with added flavor and texture of roasted vegetables are perfect any time snack.

***********************************************************************************
Recipe
Ingredients
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 cups vegetables(Carrots,peppers,onions,broccoli or any other),Sliced
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder or dried rosemary or coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes(optional)
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil or vegetable oil

Method
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Lay the vegetable on a baking sheet,sprinkle some salt and combine with about 2 teaspoon of oil.Bake for 20-25 until nicely roasted.Cool completely.

In a food processor or blender,process all the roasted vegetables until minced or finely grated.
Prepare the dough by mix all the other ingredients with the roasted vegetable mixture until well combined. Knead the dough to a smooth consistency.
Divide the dough in to 2 portions. Take one portion at a time and roll in to thin sheet. Place on a greased baking sheet.Score the rolled dough on the sheet in to squares. Prick using a fork to prevent the puffing of crackers.Brush a little water and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds all over.
Bake for about 15-18 minutes while keeping a close eye . Don't wait till the cracker turn dark brown. Light brown is the just the right color to get a flavorful crackers.Repeat the same for the remaining portion of dough. Cool on rack before storing in a tight jar.Enjoy with low fat cream cheese.
***********************************************************************************

Comments

Ivy said…
Count me in Yasmeen. I've already made a few healthy snacks, the only problem was that I couldn't stop eating them) Hope you'll post your event on My Receipes & Events. What happened with the other event. Did I miss the round-up?
Yasmeen said…
Thanks.You didn't miss it,Ivy.I'll post the round up next week :)
Finla said…
I don't make that much healthy snacks, will try to join in.
A great theme! Those crackers look fantastic!

Cheers,

Rosa
Priya Suresh said…
Such a beautiful theme, crackers looks prefect and fabulous..
Unknown said…
Wow nice theme, count us in.
Sanghi said…
Wow.. delicious and healthy theme..! i'm in!
Great idea for an event. WOill try to join in. I always have the best of intentions but invariably realsie the deadlines are long gone! :)
Shri said…
I think snacking b/w meals is a big reason to put on weight...Cool idea!Will try to send in something
Arabic Bites said…
Yasmeen..so healthy & guilt-free looking crackers ;)

Insha'Allah I will try to participate.
I love this event since I bake a lot of healthy snacks to eat between classes ;)

zainab :D
CurryLeaf said…
Great theme Yasmeen.Expect one soon.
MaryMoh said…
wow....really good healthy crackers. Love them. Hope to make them one day, soon. Thanks for sharing.
Anonymous said…
Will my apple honey sorbet qualify as a healthy snack? I would love to submit it for your challenge.
Unknown said…
Interesting them Yasmeen will try to send some happy hosting
kitchen queen said…
you have a nice blog.you can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments.
Indhu said…
those crackers look awesome.. adding vegetables is a great idea :)
Johanna GGG said…
these crackers look fantastic - I am already going through what vegies I can roast so I can make them - if I can think of something for the challenge I might play along but not sure
LifenSpice said…
Loved the name of the event Yasmeen. Will think of something:)
Ayesha said…
Can't wait to see the contributions.A snack that's not deep fried is certainly a challenge to me.
Mansi said…
Wow, these crackers look so appetising.
notyet100 said…
lovely theme,...hppy hosting,..
lesley said…
Hello Yasmeen, just popped over to see what you'd been cooking...i love the look of those crackers! Superb photo's :o)
sabah said…
Nice creation, healthy and delicious.
Jyoti V said…
cracker looks so perfect and nice event...
lissie said…
Thank you Yasmeen for visiting my blog! you have a wonderful space too... I will try to send my entry for the event. the cracker sounds really healthy!
Varsha Vipins said…
I am not quite a snack person..When I feel like,I have some coffee or so..Its always full meals for me..:P..lol..But what a healthy snack that is Yas..looks crispy yumm n so good too..:)
Jen said…
Those crackers look real crunchy and home made are all the more fresh and tasty with simple ingredients.
sarah said…
Frankly the deep fried foods are quite tempting snacks stocked up in our homes.But I'll try these healthier munchies on my next baking adventures =)
Anonymous said…
Those roasted vegetable crackers sound pretty tasty, and definitely healthy! Wow, and they're gorgeous too :)
Kiran said…
What a simple yet wonderful idea. Will try and take part I have been working on a recipe for some time now once I perfect it I will share with all.
great challenge fruit for me !!! love your blog
nick said…
Crunchy munchy treat..good one.
Yasmeen said…
Thank you all,I'm looking forward for your lovely entries :)
jayasri said…
wow, nice event, very interesting, will try to participate...
Raje said…
Wonderful theme Yasmeen, Will send my entries. Happy hosting!
Anonymous said…
Iam new to food bogging...count me in, lovely idea.
Anonymous said…
Nice theme. Iam also on the hunt for healthy recipes. Iam in the right place :) Those crackers look amazing.
Cool Lassi(e) said…
Yasmeen,
I have sent my entries. Check it out.

-Cool Lassi(e)
http://pangravykadaicurry.blogspot.com
Looking tasty healthy crackers! Thanks for sharing. Let's discuss related to Skin problems, if anybody is suffering from any type of skin disease or want to consult with expert doctor, book an appointment Skin Doctor in East Delhi, visit us today.

Contact Health Nut

Name

Email *

Message *