A Year of Healthful Blogging.Cherry-Blueberry Crumble.Announcing the event ,Health Nut Challenge


Oozing with healthful recipes Health Nut completes a year this month.My mission here was to get the message of out about nature's best foods that heal,encourage more variety in diet ,look for alternatives for food intolerance or restricted diets.So far so good,I see this a beginning to my life long commitment to a take care of a gifted good health.I must thank all my visitors for the encouragement and the thoughtful awards that keeps me going.

The Cherry Blueberry Crumble seemed to be a perfect dessert to celebrate the first blogiversary of Health Nut.
Adapted from a an inspiring Baker,Deeba@PassionateAboutBaking,this simple dessert is the best way to enjoy the berrilicious season.
Recipe :Cherry Blueberry Crumble
for 6 medium ramekins or an 8X8 inches baking dish
Ingredients
3 cups(about 1 pound) blueberries
2 cups(about 3/4 pound) cherries,pitted and halved
2 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar or 2 teaspoon agave nectar
For Topping
1 tablespoon brown sugar or 2 teaspoon Agave nectar
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup whole rolled oats
2 tablespoon butter, cold ,cut in cubes

Method
Preheat oven to 375F.
Combine the flour,sugar and fruits in a large mixing bowl.Transfer them in to the baking dish or individual ramekins.
Prepare the topping by combining the flour,sugar and oats.Cut the butter in to the mixture using a fork.Now Sprinkle this mixture over the fruit mixture ,about a tablespoon on each of the ramekins,press gently.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until the crust is lightly brown and the fruit is tender and juices are bubbly and oozy .Serve warm with a dollop of low-fat ice cream .

Health Nut Challenge

I would love to go a step further with my purpose here ,by a food event that encourages healthy eating and cooking with variety of foods.Health Nut Challenge calls all the cooking enthusiasts to participate in this exciting event and share their creative recipes.To begin with,the first challenge is to cook a "Well Balanced 3 course meal".

What's a Well-Balanced Meal?
A healthy meal prepared with wide variety of different foods from five main food groups.A Well-balanced diet helps in optimal growth,development and maintenance of our bodies.
The five main food groups include :
Carbohydrates or grain group -Includes food from wheat, rice, oats, cornmeal, barley or another cereal grain.Choose whole grains over the refined grains.
Proteins or Meat&Beans Group -All foods made from meat, poultry, fish, dry beans or peas, eggs, nuts, and seeds are considered part of this group. Trim excess fat from meats and choose healthier cooking methods like baking or grilling over deep frying.
Dairy Group - Milk ,yogurt and cheese should be fat-free or low-fat.Look for alternative sources of calcium if lactose-intolerant.
Fruit and vegetables Group - We need at least 5 serving of these every day.Eat more variety.
Fats and Oils Group -Vegetable oils contain essential fatty acids unlike the saturated fats like butter or shortening or margarine. See the chart of limitations of fats with age and sex.
Read here more information on Food pyramid and steps of healthy eating.

Rules and Guidelines
Vegan,Vegetarian or Non-Vegetarian all entries are acceptable in the Challenge as long as the meal adheres to the rules and guidelines below :

1.Prepare a totally satisfying well-balanced three course meal,keep it simple and combine your favorite foods which your family would love to eat.
First Course Appetizer or Soup or Salad:Use good amount of fresh vegetables.Can also include lentils\legumes or Tofu or low fat\lean meat* or seafood
See some of the soups and salads posted on Health Nut.

Second course Main Entree: Whole Grains are added bonus with Lentils\Legumes or Tofu or low-fat\Lean meat* or Seafood.Don't forget to add spices and herbs.
some of my recipes to get the idea :
Black Eyed Peas Sprouts Pasta,Soba Noodles tofu Vegetable Stir fry,Carribean Kabobs with Beans and rice,Green Mung Khichdi with Sesame Chutney,Harissa Chicken with Freekah\Couscous\Bulgur wheat & Greens,whole Grain Parathas with Dal Makhani,Hachapuri with Olives Mung Stew.

Third Course Simple Dessert or Pudding or Smoothie :The fruitier the better,use as many fruits and nuts as you can.And keep the sugar in moderation and saturated fat butter\Shortening\Ghee to the minimum.
Honey glazed Plums\Peaches,Dark Chocolate Strawberries,Beet Cheese Treats,Almond Stuffed Dates,Easy Carrot Pudding,Saffron Orange Basundi,Avocado Mango Cream,Flax Berry Smoothie.

*Low-fat\Lean meat or poultry ,includes Lean beef,low-fat chicken ,goat,lamb or turkey.

2.Any number of entries are welcome .Use the logo and link back to this post .Mail me your entry with following details by September 20 2009 to email address YasmeenHealthnut[at]
gmail[dot]com
:
**Your Name and blog\Website(if you have one)
**Recipe link(Non-bloggers include the complete recipe)
**A Picture of all the 3 courses together or 3 Separate pictures of each course.
** Old entries are allowed as long as reposted.
**Your Location


Not to worry about perfect presentation of food,focus on the nutrition.
Here is an example of a well-balanced 3 course meal.

Appetizer : Vegetable Cutlets Similar to the Fish vegetable cutlets,made with just vegetables(potatoes,peas,carrots and broccoli),hint of spices and herbs.
Main course: Edamame Almond Mint Brown rice Pilaf\Pulov similar to the Vegetable Pulov,in this entree I used brown rice ,Edamame(soybeans) ,mint and nuts.
Dessert : Tofu Berry pudding ,a blend of summer's best berries and silken tofu,a recipe inspired by Sunshinemom@Tongueticklers


3.In celebration of the first anniversary of the blog,I'm giving away a $25 gift certificate to one lucky entry.


Get thinking and Cooking Healthy! I'm excited to see what the creative foodies can dish up for this Challenge.



Current Health Nut Challenge - 7


Comments

Gita Jaishankar said…
COngrats on your achievement Yasmeen...This is a very interesting event...I have to put my thinking cap on :)
Congrats on ur anniversary yasmeen .. count me in. I love this event. WIll be posting soon.
Yasmeen said…
Thank you gals:)
Ria Mathew said…
Lovely crumble and a lovely challenge! :)
Parita said…
Congrats on the first anniversary, wish many more to come :) love the crumble and what a grt challenge, I am in :)
Finla said…
Congragulations.
And a wonderful event to celebrate too.
Will have to give it a miss as i will be going soon on break.
Judy said…
Congrats on your blogoversary, Yasmeen. You've done a wonderful job on your blog, reminding us all to concentrate on better, more healthful eating.
Pooja said…
Happy blog anniversary Yasmeen! You have an awesome blog and may you achieve many more milestones! This is a great event. Nothing is more satisfying than a well balanced meal. I'm in :)
Ann said…
Congrats and happy Anniversary. this event sounds super intresting, 'll have to send my posts too :)
Sunshinemom said…
What a wonderful year it has been, Yasmeen! Wishing you a healthy life and waiting to see the wonderful dishes you come up with during the next year:). That is a great theme and I will try cooking healthy for this one at least:)!
sangeeta said…
congrats on your anniversary yasmeen....the crumble looks so inviting...i had seen Nigella making this kind of oozing crumble once n had tried it then...feel like making it again now...
you are hosting a very thoughtful event, i am in for it...
Varsha Vipins said…
congrats Yasmeen..:)you have really done a great job..:)..n abt the evnt..do we have to prepare fresh n send for the event?are old post combo's posble?
Lisa Turner said…
Fantastic idea for an event. I will try to contribute something.
Yasmeen said…
Thank you everyone:)
Varsha,it would be better to post a new one.But if you really are busy this summer or off for vacation then send the old entry ,do repost it in a current post:)
Congrats one your first blogiversary. U put so much of thought into thr food u prepare that it helps alot of people like me be more conscious of what I eat.
Thanks for that. And nice event too. Hopefully, I will be able to send in something too.
rahin said…
Congratulations Yasmeen , you certainly have accomplished what you intended, the event sounds cool , will definitely send my 3 courses :) the crumble looks awesome
Rush said…
u r a health nut, no doubts!!
this is awesome and im jealous..u r good at whatever u have ur hands into!!
Malar Gandhi said…
Congrats on ur blog anniversary.

Thats a lovely, unique event you're hosting there!! I will come up with soemthing exciting!!
Congrats, Yasmeen! A great event!

Cheers,

Rosa
Manju said…
love that first picture..feel like making some crumble now. n congratulations! :)
mona said…
Mabrook Yasmeen!
I am always intrigued by your healthful ways of cooking and use of ingredients. I hope that you will continue to inspire us and blog about wholesome foods for a long long time inshallah.
Keep it up gal!
Preeti Singh said…
Congratulation for a colourful and healthy blogging year.
Event you are hosting is very interesting and healthy...so happy event hosting dear...
Sharmila said…
Congrats on completeing one blogging year dear Yasmeen! Your blog is one of my favourites. :-)
This event is on just my way of cooking ... simple and healthy. Will definitely put in something. :-)
Congrats on ur blog anniversary dear...I loved this challnge..Count me IN!!
Nazarina A said…
Dear Yasmeen,
You are going to live long!!!!! I was thinking about you today and told myself to visit and chat with you.I have many people waiting for my book and will give back to the needy by the Grace of the Almighty!
But let me get back to you....a year has gone by with your delectable and smart eating recipes. YOU GO GIRL!!!
This picture of the crumble is deliciously stunning!
sra said…
Congrats on a very interesting, good-looking blog, Yasmeen!
Sanghi said…
Congrats on ur anniversary.. yummy event..! Will send some..!
Unknown said…
congrats..i always look forward for your healthy recipes..i will surely send in something for the event..
lubnakarim06 said…
Mubarak...Mubarak...yaar.....i was like just yesterday...we had that Ramadan event and we met an it is whole long a year....time passed way so fast......Wish you many more healthy blogging years......keep rocking health nut with healthy recipes and tips.....hmm let me think what i can send for the event....Happy Hosting.
Unknown said…
congrats on your blog anniversary, very nice theme and interesting too will try to send some.
Meeta K. Wolff said…
wishing you a happy blog birthday! keep up the awesome work!
Priya Suresh said…
Congrats yasmeen.....Lovely blueberry crumble, wat a delicious way to celebrate ur blog anniversay...Lovely event too yaa, will try to come up with healthy dishes, Keep on rocking Yas!
Raks said…
Ur blog is so unique in its way,keep gooing and enjoy hosting the event:)
Vikis Kitchen said…
Congrats on ur anniversary dear. count me in. Ur blog rocks.
Logo is soooo.. cute:)
Shabs.. said…
Happy blog Anniversary dear.....I loved the event theme....But now I have to see for some healthy recipes:)....I Hope I can take part.....
By the way, that pic of the crumble looks too good:)
I love ur blog...
Bergamot said…
Happy blog anniversary!! Now that's an interesting event... maybe I too can think of something really healthy.
suvi said…
congrats yasmeen! very interesting event, will send in something soon!
Nithya Praveen said…
Congrats in completing a year Yasmeen.Interesting event....am thinking now.Will send my post.
Anonymous said…
Yaay :)!!!Happy anniversary my dear Yasmeen.I'm looking forward for another year of healty recipes!
You really are doing a great job on this BLOG.

Oh...and the cherry-crumble...hm,hm :)...must have been so delicious!!!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on the blogging anniversary! What a great event! I will try to participate.
Congratulations Yasmeen!!!You really have a lovely blog...
Anonymous said…
Congratulations, Yasmeen. This is my first comment on your blog. I have tried many recipes and it came out very well, especially i like ur baking.

Food blog is not so easy. Hats off to your anniversary.
Bharti said…
Happy Anniversary Yasmeen..you are doing a splendid job and it has been lovely being your blog buddy. The challenge is def. challenging...just to make all the three course and get a picture of them together! I will def. try to make it.
Ooh..the crumble looks gorgeous.
Anonymous said…
wow, this is quite fascinating. I would love to see other people's contributions!
Congrats Yasmeen!

Love your pictures. That crumble looks delicious.
Ivy said…
Congrats on your blogoversay Yasmeen and we are looking forward to a lot more of your healthy recipes. Shall do my best to participate.
Purva Desai said…
Congrats on completing one year of healthy blogging.....very thoughtful event dear.....will try to contribute to this event
Kalaivani said…
Happy anniversary!! the crumble looks so great and love the presentation.what a healthy event?I'm in...
ARUNA said…
congrats Yasmeen.....and the event sounds so interesting!!!!
elly said…
Congrats on one year! I've really enjoyed reading your blog over the last few months, when I found it. Like the idea of the contest so I will definitely try my best to participate!
Reeni said…
Happy Anniversary! I hope to get in on the fun!
Jen said…
Congrats and good luck with the event.Wish I could participate but sorry I can't click any pictures:(
Shri said…
Yasmeen,
Congratulations on your anniversary!I am a new blogger and came across your blog.I just fell in love with it.I had my own share of health problems after my daughter's birth and now , I try to maintain a healthy diet.My blog doesnot necessarily focus on healthy eating...But I am wondering now how addictive the food can be especially unhealthy ones'.Well...will try to send something in for the Aug event.
Shri
nick said…
Congrats! Keep rocking!
Unknown said…
Can't wait for the round-up...a very useful event.Congrats on completing a year of healthful blogging.
Yasemin said…
Congrats Yasmeen! You are my favorite cook ever! Can't wait to see what the new year of blogging brings...Love you so much!
Deepthi Shankar said…
Congrats on the achievement Yasmeen .. A nice interesting event, Happy Hosting
Saritha said…
Congrats on completing a year of blogging and wish many more years to come
I just posted a dessert yesterday,will modify and give u the link and the details :)
Congratulations Yasmeen, on your first blog anniversary. Wishing you many more healthy years here. :)
CurryLeaf said…
CONGRATS YASMEEN on completing healthy first year.Wishing you many many more. The event is surely challenging.Love the berry crumble.Sorry could not comment earlier.
Archy said…
Congrats yaar !! Very unique event for healthy food.. shall surely join !!
Yasmeen said…
Thank You,Shukran,Dhanyavad,
Merci,Gracias,Shukriya:)
Sara said…
I love the sound of that crumble! I look forward to cherry season every year.
Simmi said…
oye mubarak ho yasmeen!keep those recipes coming :p
Kim said…
Hi. Well, I was with you till you said no pork because it's unhealthy. Um, no, it's not. In the U.S. at least, it's a lean, tasty meat with great protein that cooks quickly and takes well to many seasonings. I can't imagine why you'd exclude it, but it's misleading to say it's unhealthy.
Jessica said…
Congrats Yasmeen! can't wait to see the healthy meals.
Unknown said…
Oozing you say...its exploding..thanks for making healthy eating so tasty and interesting :D
notyet100 said…
lovely event,,,will sure chip in,..;-)enjoy hostin,..
notyet100 said…
and ya congrtas for blogversary...
Unknown said…
A creative event.Hope you get some sensible nutritious entries.I'm tuned in.
lubnakarim06 said…
Just dropped in my entry dear...
Unknown said…
Hi yasmeen,
I just droped my entry please check it. Thank you so much.

Contact Health Nut

Name

Email *

Message *