Thyme Olive Oil Shortbread


Thyme was one of the few herbs that survived despite my poor gardening skills.The lush green fragrant herb made in to many dishes including soups,stews and finally in this scrumptious shortbread recipe.


Shortbread or crackers?,depends on how thin the dough is rolled.Thinner for crackers and thicker for shortbread.Butter is replaced with fruity olive oil and the aroma of fresh thyme is the most apparent in the flavor,these are a perfect accompaniment with warming soups.

Recipe :Thyme Shortbread
Yields over a dozen rectangular shortbread
Ingredients
1 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour(fine ground)
6-8 sprigs of fresh thyme,leaves separated
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar or 2 teaspoon agave nectar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon cold water

Method
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Prepare the dough by combining all the ingredients either in large mixing bowl or in food processor,do not over mix.Cover the dough and set in fridge for 30 minutes.
Divide the dough in to 2 portions. Take one portion at a time and roll in to 1/4 inch thick rectangular sheet. Place on a greased baking sheet.Score the rolled dough(can use a pizza cutter) on the sheet in to rectangular or square shapes.
Place on a baking sheet,bake for about 15-18 minutes while keeping a close eye until golden brown on the edges.Cool on rack before storing in a tight jar.Good for a week,but tastes best on same day baked.


Hosting Weekend Herb Blogging #254

I'll be hosting the Weekend Herb Blogging event for the week(October 4th-10th).Share your unusual delicious foods.Talk about the one unique ingredient used and please keep the entries exclusive(cannot be sent to other food events).For more rules check here and send your entries to YasmeenHealthnut AT gmail DOT com.

Comments

Hari Chandana P said…
very new to me.. looks delicious and yummy.. beautiful presentation !!
Jhonny walker said…
I agree with Hari. It is a new take on shortbread. I love thyme. The lovely earthy flavor. BTW the gallete was real good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I used apples :)
Rachana said…
A great recipe! Shortbreads look so goood.
Joanne said…
I never think to make savory shortbreads but these do sound fantastic! Even better because they're made with homegrown thyme!
Swathi said…
Nice experiment with shortbread.
Priya Suresh said…
Aromatic and beautiful looking shortbread..
Hamaree Rasoi said…
These crakers looks beautiful and new kind of taste...

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi
Excellent Blog! I really admire your thinking and the way you have put these information in this post. Thanks for sharing an informative post.
sangeeta said…
That lush pot of thyme freshened me up . Loved these crackers , will try them soon for sure.
Nice presentation...drooling here..

Tasty Appetite
Umm Mymoonah said…
Lovely shortbread, looks very yummy.
sweet artichoke said…
I have a weakness for savoury biscuits, crackers, shortbreads... Your thyme and olive oil ones sounds delicious!
Simona Carini said…
I have a weakness for thyme as well. In fact I have two plants in my little herb garden and use it as often as I can. I like your idea of using thyme leaves to flavor the shortbread.
I mailed you my contribution to WHB earlier in the week. Let me know if you have not received it. Looking forward to the roundup.
Bergamot said…
Would love to have my own spice garden but never got around to it. The short bread look simple delicious
Faith said…
Lovely shortbread. I love thyme. I think it gives certain food an amazing taste. Thanks for sharing this.

Faith
"Guppy" Honaker said…
Oh wow - I just saw your Thyme-Olive Shortbread recipe. I'm going to try it out in my solar oven (with home-grown thyme). It looks delicious! Glad your Thyme plant survived your garden. Don't "diss" your gardening skills - I bet you're a wonderful gardener.

- David

Aloe Vera Juice Benefits
Holistic Nutrition and Health
Stephen said…
I just love thyme in bread and crackers.. They taste so yummy...
Amy said…
Hi
I had some lemon olive oil that I thought would work really well in shortbread and tried this recipe replacing the sugar with honey and thyme with mint. Even after adding some extra water and honey, the dough was very crumbly. It came out looking much more like cracker meal than crackers or shortbread - Did you really use whole wheat flour?
Yasmeen said…
Amy, be sure to use fine ground whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour would also be good. I get mine from Asian(Indian\Pakistani) stores.

Contact Health Nut

Name

Email *

Message *