Beet Hummus


Chick peas fuse together marvelously with vegetables like beets,roasted peppers or artichokes and greens like spinach,mint,cilantro to give a vibrant variation to traditional hummus.I could eat hummus everyday without any worry for its bursting nutritive value,Chick peas are low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol and Sodium(in home made chick peas). It is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein and Copper, and a very good source of Folate and Manganese.

I'm sending the healthy pink hummus recipe to Ley's "Baking for breast cancer awareness" , a breast cancer awareness event. Healthy diet and early detection are key in prevention of any cancer.Beets are loaded with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C. The beet greens have a higher content of iron compared to spinach. They are also an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, sodium and iron.It is considered a blood cleanser ,that helps the body to get rid of many unwanted ailments. Raw beets are considered more effective in fighting cancer than cooked.Read everything about Beets nutrition here.Read the useful guide to prevention of cancers.Learn the important breast cancer facts here.

Think no more, buy some beets,soak your chick peas tonight and make a fresh bowl of this tasty creamy healthy delight .
Recipe Beet Hummus
Ingredients
2 cups cooked or canned Chickpeas\Garbanzo beans\Bengal gram(home made are better ,canned are higher in sodium)
1 small beet,peeled and cooked until tender with a cup of water.
2 cloves garlic,roasted in olive oil
2 tablespoon Tahini sauce(recipe follows)
1/2 a fresh lime juice
1 green chilly(optional)
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Method
Finely blend the beets in processor or blender,add just few drop of water if needed. Then mix in the cooked chick peas and roasted garlic. Blend again until the mixture is of smooth paste consistency,for a thick creamy hummus add just few drops of water if needed. Stir in the oil ,salt(for home made chick peas,no more salt needed for canned chick peas) and lime juice.Blend again till creamy. Transfer in a serving plate or bowl,garnish with edible rose(unbelievably easy to make,watch Vah chef in this video )and mint leaves. Hummus is appetizing with any whole grain chips,I served them with Home made pita chips. Stores in refrigerator for a week,enjoy it on toast or sandwiches or Kababs.

On request from my dear buddy Zee,here is the tahini recipe.
Tahini Sauce
3/4th cup white sesame seeds
2 gloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup water

Method
Toast the seeds on medium heat on stove top or in oven at 350F,while stirring occasionally ,about 10 minutes.
Grind the seeds in a processor or a coffee grinder until finely powdered.Stir in rest og the ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.Stores in refrigerator ,drizzle on sandwiches or Kababs or add in hummus for a creamy texture and lot more flavor.

Other Pink recipes posted for Breast cancer awareness:
Rose Flan
Rose Berry Banana Soy Smoothie

Another tasty beet recipe ,Beet Cheese Treats,I'm sending this tasty treat to JFI:Festive treats hosted this month by Srivalli.

Comments

Anonymous said…
yasmeen,this is simply enthusiastic food to know.bright and friendly.lemme check.
Unknown said…
Looks simply delicious..I make the ordianry hummus..Will try it with beets next time..
NKP said…
I love the colour, so pretty. We like hummus in our family too. Great for my veggie daughter.
It is interesting to see a tahini recipe, thank you.
Sagari said…
beautiful color hummus
Cham said…
What an exotic color, beautiful!
CurryLeaf said…
Colourful ,Y.But tell me, which sesame seed to use for sauce -black or white.I too made hummus with roasted garlic and sundried tomato,but used store bought tahini paste.I have black ones but I see most with white sesame.can I use black?
Sujatha said…
this is totally new for me.. very creative.. Looks absolutely delicious..
Yasmeen said…
Thank you'll for checking out the recipe.
Curry leaf,Tahini is made with white sesame seeds.I'm not sure about using black sesame seeds,might make the hummus black;)
Dori said…
This is an awesome hummus recipe! You made something so healthy, even healthier! It's a great color, and I love the tomato rose!
ST said…
Wishing you and your family a happy diwali Yasmeen!
Recipeswap said…
This is a new combo to me.Cant get any healthier than this.
Priya Suresh said…
Wow Yasmeen simply fabulous...i did hummus with sweet corn..urs looks really colourful n tempting me a lot...next time, sure will go for beets...
Noor said…
Hi This is Noor from Ya Salam Cooking. I wanted to invite you to join: http://themiddleeasterncook.blogspot.com/2008/09/whats-your-favorite-cookie-recipe.html I hope that you can submit a recipe bc I have a great idea planned when I get them all together.

Noor
sefa firdaus said…
I love hummus.. yummy
Prudy said…
That is so pretty! I just love it. I'm a huge hummus fan so I will have to try your pretty pink beet version.
ley said…
Thank you so much for participating in this event! Your hummus is absolutely gorgeous, and I love how healthy it is! Thank you!
Unknown said…
looks lovely, yasmeen.
Indian Khana said…
This is real gud...so nice to make hummus of beetroot...looks delicious..gud entry
lubnakarim06 said…
Beet Hummus look colorful, healthy and gr8.
I love hummus and this looks so pretty.
colorful and delicious hummus. I never heard this one. This is new to me.
Ivy said…
They look gorgeous. Really tempting! You did a great job here!
Lakshmi said…
YOoo! adding beet to humus uummmm..I can imagine the taste, very innovative..
Jaishree Iyer said…
Looks simply delicious.this is totally new for me.. very creative.
Zee said…
What an intelligent combination...sure adds a dash of color and nutrients to Hummus..next time my Hummus is surely gonna have beet..I also liked the optional green chilly...thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe and the nutrients info...and thanks once again for the Tahini sauce recipe:)
Anonymous said…
Hi
Just wanted to say i realy like this blog.
If you`re interested, also check out this blog, with recepies for realy good dishes and real easy.

Contact Health Nut

Name

Email *

Message *